Srini Pillay Joins Moe Abdou to explore the science behind your mind’s constant ability to wander. His new book is – Tinker Dabble Doodle Try.
Tinker, Dabble, Doodle – Try
There’s been plenty of fascinating research on the scientific triggers of creativity and innovation; yet few will ever praise the deliberate practice of what Srini Pillay calls, un-focusing. In the decade since I’ve known him, I’ve hardly seen him do anything conventionally – not only is he the quintessential contrarian, more importantly, he shares a worldview that you’ll find both convincing and a bit outlandish.
Of the three books that he has published, it’s his latest – Tinker, Dabble, Doodle – Try: Unlock the Power of the Unfocused Mind, that captures the true essence of who he is, and the manner in which he approaches his work as a strategic advisor. In this interview, I focus on the shift in perspective that one needs to make to ignite that often hidden dimension of creativity – here are a few of the questions that we explore:
- What does the word Focus really mean – and it’s opposite?
- How learning to unfocus will sharpen your ability to focus?
- How not to let emotions – negative or positive – hijack your mind?
- Learning to leverage the constant mind chatter
- The difference between planned and unplanned daydreaming?
- Getting better at super-tasking
- What is possibilities thinking & how you can ritualize it?